Welcome to the VitalCertificates.ca birth certificate application page. From here you can order birth certificates from provinces and territories across Canada. To get started, simply select the province or territory where the birth occurred.
- Complete, print and sign the application form
- Fax, scan and email or mail your completed and signed form
Scan & Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgFax: 1-866-265-6300Mail: Express Legal
- Receive your certificate by mail or courier
Who Can Apply For A Canadian Birth Certificate?
Eligibility requirements vary by province or territory. Please select a province or territory where the birth occurred.
This site is available for use by the general public and legal profession to obtain government approved and official certificates of birth issued by the government agency as an independent authorized agent.
Birth Certificates From Canadian Provinces and Territories
A birth certificate is an official vital record issued by a government authority that documents the birth of a child. In Canada, birth certificates are issued by the provincial or territorial government where the birth occurred.
|A birth certificate is the most important identity document issued by the provinces. With a birth certificate you can obtain other essential identity documents such as:|
|Driver’s License||Social Insurance Card|
|Canadian Passport||First Nation Identity Card|
Provincial or territorial birth certificates are often enough to prove that you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada.
New Design for Canadian Birth Certificates
Created by the Vital Statistics Council for Canada (VSCC) in conjunction with forensic document experts from the RCMP, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Canadian Passport Office, Canada Border Services Agency and the Canadian Bank Note Company Ltd., new Canadian birth certificates will be one of the most secure documents in the world. Introducing an array of cutting edge security features, including several that will not be revealed to the public, the new certificate is specifically designed to minimize identity theft, forgeries and loss.
As of July 30, 2010 eight provinces have adopted the new certificate: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
The stock for the new document is high security polymer (plastic). The new certificate is 13 cm by 18 cm in size (5”X7”). It is designed to discourage people from carrying it in their wallet or purse.
The certificate has:
- Two window features – one contains a colour shifting property (gold/purple); the other contains three “floating” maple leaves
- Two watermark/shadow features – maple leaves and Canada geese
- Thread containing the word “CANADA” repeated
- Tactile printing similar to that found on Canadian currency
- Colour shifting printing, “CANADA” in three waves below the clear window containing the maple leaves (purple/green)
- Contains the provincial/territorial coat of arms in colour with the jurisdiction’s seal and a signature
The new design also contains certain forensic features that assist authorities in determining the validity of the document, as many certificates are reported lost or stolen every month.