Welcome to the Nova Scotia birth certificate application page of VitalCertificates.ca.
Required to establish legal identity, obtain a Canadian passport, apply for a health card, driver’s license, social insurance number, enroll in school, settle an estate or access pension benefits, Nova Scotia birth certificates can be ordered by proceeding to step 1 below.
- Complete, print and sign the appropriate application form
- Fax, scan and email or mail your completed and signed form
Scan & Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgFax: 1-866-265-6300Mail: Express Legal
- Receive your certificate by mail or courier
Who Can Apply For a Nova Scotia Birth Certificate With This Application?
This site is available for use by the legal profession and general public to obtain Nova Scotia Government approved and official certificates of birth issued by the government agency as an independent authorized agent.
Original or replacement birth certificates may be released to:
- The person who is the subject of the certificate; or
- A parent whose name appears on the birth registration; or
- A custodial guardian (Custodial guardians must provide a copy of guardianship papers);
Fees & Processing Times
If you are applying for a Nova Scotia birth certificate to support an application for other identification such as a Passport, Driver’s License etc., please check with the issuing agency to ensure you obtain the correct certificate. Changes cannot be made once an order has been placed.
Payment can be made by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cheque or money order – Please make cheque or money order payable to “ExpressLegal”
Certificates ordered with regular service average 15 to 20 business days to be processed and delivered.
Certificates ordered with rush service average 7 to 12 business days to be processed and delivered.
Service times listed above are approximations and are not guaranteed. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will significantly delay processing time.
- Individual Information Birth Certificate – $80.00 each
- Family Information Birth Certificate – $85.00 each
- Certified Copy of Nova Scotia Birth Registration – $85.00 each
- Rush Service – $25.00 additional processing cost (includes multiple certificates)
Fees include all taxes, search, shipping and processing charges.
If no record of the birth is found by Nova Scotia Vital Statistics, fees will be applied to the search cost and will not be refunded.
All birth certificates in Nova Scotia are mailed directly from Nova Scotia Vital Statistics.
Nova Scotia Family Information Birth Certificate (Long Form)
The Family Information Certificate contains the individual’s full name, birth date, birth place, gender, parents’ names, parents’ birth places, registration number, and registration date.
Nova Scotia Individual Information Birth Certificate (Short Form)
The Individual Information Certificate contains the individual’s full name, birth date, birth place, gender, registration number, and registration date.
Certified Copy of Nova Scotia Birth Registration
This a photocopy of the actual birth registration as filled in by the parents. It is legally the most complete document. The photocopy is certified as true copy of the original.
NOTE: Certified copies are rarely needed by citizens and are, by law, for restricted use only. They are generally only required for court or consulate purposes. They are not recommended for use as identification.
New Security-Enhanced Birth Certificates
On February 1st, 2008, Nova Scotia introduced a new, more secure and durable birth certificate. The new certificate is made of high-security plastic, making it extremely durable and enabling more than 20 security features. The previous paper birth certificates will no longer be available.
While the old certificates will not be invalidated, in some instances, where identity security is of utmost importance, citizens may be asked by other agencies to provide the new more secure document as proof of identity or citizenship. Vital Statistics will not exchange previous certificates free of charge.
The new certificate is 125 mm wide by 176 mm high. A wallet size certificate is no longer available.
It is designed to discourage people from carrying it in their wallet or purse (thousands of certificates are reported lost or stolen every month).
The stock for the new document is high security polymer (plastic).
The certificate has:
- Two transparent windows — one with a colour shifting property and one with three floating maple leaves; unique watermark/shadow features — maple leaves; Canada geese;
- Thread feature containing the word “CANADA” repeated;
- Tactile printing similar to that found on Canadian currency;
- Colour shifting window with the word “CANADA” in three waves below the clear window containing the maple leaves (purple/green); and
- Contains the provincial/territorial coat of arms in colour with the jurisdiction’s seal and a signature.
- The new design also contains certain forensic features that assist authorities in determining the validity of the document.
- The individual information certificate contains the individual’s name, date of birth, place of birth and sex.
Do you require the status of your submitted application?
If you have not received your ordered birth certificate within the time expected, please call 1-877-848-2578 within Nova Scotia, 1-902-424-4381 outside Nova Scotia.