Welcome to the Ontario death certificate application page of VitalCertificates.ca.
Required as legal proof of death, to settle the estate of the deceased and to apply for pension and insurance benefits, Ontario death certificates can be ordered by proceeding to step 1 below.
- Complete and print the appropriate application form
- Fax, scan and email or mail your completed and signed form
Scan & Email: email@example.comFax: 1-866-265-6300Mail: Express Legal
- Receive your certificate by mail or courier
Who Can Apply For an Ontario Death Certificate With This Application?
This site is available for use by the legal profession and general public to obtain Ontario Government approved and official certificates of death issued by the government agency as an independent authorized agent.
Original or replacement death certificates may be released to:
- Death certificates in Ontario may be released to any person with a valid reason.
- A Certified Copy of Death Registration is restricted to Next of Kin (Spouse, Common Law Partner, Mother, Father, Daughter, Son, Sister, or Brother). If all Next of Kin are deceased the extended Next of Kin may apply (Grandmother, Grandfather, Aunt, Uncle, First Cousin, Nephew, Niece, or Grandchild).
Fees & Processing Times
Payment can be made by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cheque or money order – Please make cheque or money order payable to “ExpressLegal”
Certificates ordered with regular service average 15 to 20 business days to be processed and delivered.
Certificates ordered with rush service average 5 to 7 business days to be processed and delivered.RUSH SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR DELIVERY OUTSIDE CANADA.
Search Letters average 6 to 8 weeks to be processed and delivered.
Service times listed above are approximations and are not guaranteed. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will significantly delay processing time.
- Death Certificate – $65.00
- Certified Copy of Death Registration – $75.00 each
- Rush Service – Reduces processing and delivery time to 5 to 7 business days – $110.00 each – RUSH SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR DELIVERY OUTSIDE CANADA.
- Search Letter – 6 to 8 weeks – $65.00 ($15 extra for each additional name searched)
Fees include all taxes, search, shipping and processing charges.
If no record of the death is found by the Office of the Registrar General, fees will be applied to the search cost and will not be refunded the Registrar.
Recent Deaths – A certificate will be issued upon completion of the death registration. The registration takes approximately 12 weeks from the date of death. Rush service is not available for deaths that took place within the last 12 weeks. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 1-800-461-2156 if you do require a certificate for a recent death on a rush basis.
Deaths Prior to 1991 – Death Certificate applications where the death took place prior to 1991 normally take longer to process. Rush service is not available.
Deaths Prior to 1980 – Deaths prior to 1980, may not be in electronic format. When applying for a Death Certificate for a death that occurred prior to 1980, it can take up to an extra 6-8 weeks for the registration to be converted into electronic format before processing can be completed. Rush service is not available.
Ontario Death Certificate
Contains the individual’s full name, date of death, and place of death.
Ontario Certified Copy of Death Registration
Contains all registered information, including signatures. It is a certified copy of the original death registration.
A search letter states that according to the Ontario Vital Statistics office the death is or is not recorded. The exact date of death is not provided or confirmed.
Do you require the status of your submitted application?
If you have not received your ordered death certificate within the time expected, please call toll-free at 1-800-461-2156. You can also check the status of your application at www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/status.